The Barracks (now the Smyrna Museum) was built in the late 1790's. The building housed soldiers during the War of 1812, according to local lore. During the Civil War, this dwelling was the draft headquarters for the Union and the Delaware Civil War lottery took place on it's steps. Pharmacist James P. Hoffecker purchased the house and added the pharmacy attachment viewable in this photo. You can see some of Mr. Hoffecker's apothecary items on display in the museum. After a succession of owners, the building was donated to the Duck Creek Historical Society in 1981 by Marianne Webb Faries.
The Barracks is home to the Smyrna Museum and is open every Saturday from 10-1 for visitors. Give us a call to set up appointments for groups during the week. Stop by and ask us more about our exciting Smyrna history!
Duck Creek Historical Society
Mailing address: PO Box 335, Smyrna, Delaware 19977, United States DCHS302@Gmail.com
Find us at 11 South Main Street, smyrna, Delaware
Copyright © 2019 - 2022 Duck Creek Historical Society - All Rights Reserved.
Powered by GoDaddy